Redirect


This site has moved to http://economistsview.typepad.com/
The posts below are backup copies from the new site.

March 31, 2013

'GOP's Future Lies in Heeding Women's Concerns'

My daughter Amy in the SF Chronicle "on how the GOP can better talk to women":
GOP's future lies in heeding women's concerns, by Amy Thoma (open link): The Republican Party needs help. That might be the understatement of the past two election cycles. It seems that we're hemorrhaging voters - especially young women. Registration numbers released this month only underscore the party's need to expand its base. We're not giving women my age enough reasons to stay or join. 
As a 30-ish young professional, I don't see much coming out of the party that resonates with me. We didn't lose twentysomething and thirtysomething women in the last election because our digital efforts lagged (though they did) or because some crazy white guys said ridiculous things about rape (though they did), but rather because no one bothered to ask what we think or care about. I don't see any women on the national scene I relate to, and I don't hear any politicians addressing issues I care about.
I want the Republican Party to succeed. A successful two-party system is necessary to enact reasonable public policy, and I still believe that entrepreneurship, personal responsibility and freedom make the United States great. And Republicans are best positioned to promote these ideas. ...

No comments: